Tuesday 30 October 2012

Independence

One of my big aims for Harry and Peter is that they become independent and able to look after themselves at a young age, which I think is a great boost to their confidence and of course means that they are honing vital life skills. I find this is supported a great deal by the home education environment, as I have time to let them 'help' with everyday tasks and to do things for themselves, even if it takes a loooooonng time!

Harry has really developed in this area recently so I thought I would share and record some examples here. He came upstairs this morning to tell me he had unloaded the dishwasher (he had) and he has recently been getting spoons and glasses out for breakfast before we come downstairs. He has been putting his dirty clothes in the wash bin for a few months now and Peter has started to copy him, which is great!

A couple of weeks ago, I went to put Peter to bed shortly after our veg order arrived and Harry had unpacked it all into the correct places when I came back down. He was really proud of himself.

Harry has been looking out for Peter more too. He peels bananas for him, winds up toys and puts Octonauts into vehicles for him. I also went upstairs last week and Harry had noticed that the nappy box in Peter's bedroom was empty, so he had got a new packet and was refilling it.

Harry really is growing into a big boy!




2 comments:

  1. WOW! That IS impressive! I agree with what you say about needing time (lots of it) to let them help. School takes up the whole day and leaves only the grumpy/rushed/tired bits for fitting in all the fun things, useful-but-slow things and together things - which is another great reason to home educate :)

    ReplyDelete